Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I am richer and better than you. Yeah, right.

Today's blog is judging other solely on wealth, looks, or other things of that nature. This is a subject that hits close to home for me and perhaps many of you. I mean have you ever encountered someone who appears well of and looks down on you just because you have less money? Or maybe it is a supervisor or someone higher up in your organization who looks at you with contempt because you are an underling. I have encountered both in my life and I can tell you they were quite wrong. They judged me by the means of the man and not the Lord who happens to be the ultimate judge in character and life.
From 1986 until 1997 I served in the US Navy as an Electronics Technician on Submarines, the kind that can carry those big firecrackers that level whole cities in a flash. In the navy as in other military organization there is a command structure that goes from the President to the most junior recruit.
I rose to the rank of second class petty officer (E-5) before medical issues required me to leave the service. In that time I met many Officers and more senior enlisted than I was at the time. Some of the Officers were great, and though there is rules to prevent fraternization, they treated everywhere with respect and equality as a person. Then there were those who were really into class distinction and treated enlisted as nothing more than a tool, a means to an end; that is to say for their advancement. The reason this happened was because of their training and the misbegotten believe that officers are better than enlisted. Officers are educated, some from wealthy families, while us enlisted represented the poor, uneducated, and low lifes of society. This could not be more wrong. I knew many enlisted with college educations, from wealthy families, or just of a better social nature. I can also tell you that many enlisted have higher IQs than most officers and perform jobs that many officers could not perform nor comprehend. I can tell you of some pranks I pulled on Junior Officers but this is not the time for it, maybe later.
Now in my life outside the military I ran into people who thought that because I did not, nor do I now, have a lot of money that I pretty much was a lowlife. I know of an instance where a person formerly related to me through another thought that they were better for my children than I was because I could not afford "experiences" for my children such as numerous expensive vacations and such. Wow, with that logic and by extension only Bill Gates could afford to be a proper parent. Wealth is not everything, what should be most valued is values. Values is what we need to teach our children, how to treat and respect others. What does a roller coaster teach you except to hold on and watch what you eat before you ride. With proper values we are less likely judge others improperly.
Hey I am not rich but I think I have personal values that make me a better person. I just want people to love and respect one another. I do not want to pre-judge someone and by so doing cause problems. You know I am not perfect but hopefully most will judge me to be a good guy and in the end this is how I want to be remembered.
God Bless you, and hopefully I'll catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment