Thursday, January 6, 2011

A little of my history and why hamsters are short.

As per usual I will start with the simple stuff first. Why hamsters are short? Because they are rodents and if they were 6 feet tall how would they fit in a hamster wheel? Imagine filling the 50 gallon water bottle, kids won’t fill a normal size one as it is. What about when the inevitable when the darn thing passes away? How ya going to keep the kids from noticing that 300 lb Mr. Fluffy is not just taking a long nap before he goes to live on a farm in the country. How do you explain the big hole dug in the back yard?  Kind of hard to explain the Glad body bag.
Ok enough of the hamster talk let us talk about me or at least a little of my History.
I was born in 1968 in Ohio, Wright-Patterson AFB to be exact. I was mainly raised in Carrabelle, Florida a small fishing town on the Northern Gulf coast. Carrabelle is a nice quite town but said to say it did not have much to offer me, but that is just me. I joined the Navy right after High School and volunteered for Submarines, I always loved them.
I was stationed on 3 subs on of them twice. My first sub, and where I qualified and received my Dolphins, was the USS Daniel Boone SSBN 629 homeported out of Charleston, S.C. but refitted out of Kingsbay, Georgia. I was on that boat from 87 to 89 then I transferred to Bangor, Washington near Seattle.
The boat I was assigned to was the USS Florida SSBN 728, an Ohio class Trident submarine. I stayed on that boat till 1991 then it was off to shore duty as an Instructor for a couple years.
After instructor duty I was sent to the USS Michigan SSBN 727 for a few years then back to the USS Florida my last submarine. I was medically discharged in 1997 but that is another story.
I liked the sub service it had its ups and down, laugh it’s a pun, met some great and not so great people. I received some great schooling in Electronics and navigation systems. I loved being a technician, I loved troubleshooting finding out what went wrong and fixing it. If I had my way that is all I would have done in the navy, be a technician, but the needs of the navy said otherwise.
Now I am basically retired, I still consider myself a submariner and always will just like I consider myself a technician, it is in my nature. If something goes wrong, I want to know what, why, when, and if it can be repaired. Sometimes, when a family member or friend’s computer or other electronic device fails, I am asked to take a look at it. I act like it is a bother but I really enjoy it. I like finding the answer, probably why I like watching “House”, now there is a troubleshooter, a little too much of an Easter Egger for my taste though.
Well due to a pain in the neck, a real one not a person, I will cut this short and post it.
Tomorrow: Why the ends don’t justify the means and Why is cheese the last meal a mouse eats.
I really have to get away from these rodent topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment