Thursday, August 4, 2011

Beth, Ah Beth

I have to say that when I was writing The Last Run Beth was the hardest character to bring to life. The reason? She is a she and I am a he. I mean I am a guy and after 43 years I still have yet to figure women out so how the heck could I write a realistic character. After stressing a while I said to hell with it and did some research. I went out an rented all the chic flicks out there and watched the movies for 48 hours straight. I knew I was ready to write when I looked at my finger nails and thought I needed a manicure. I even started thinking a purse could hold more stuff than my wallet, I mean I could have several purses to go with different outfits.
Anyway I went to writing, I chose Elizabeth because there our many variations to the name's short-form, such as Beth, Liz. Lizzy, Eliza and so forth. I know some people prefer one name over another and still people would use the name the least liked. I used this to add some tension to Beth and her uncle's relationship. I also decided to have her be an orphan so she would have something in common with Stephen, Kindred Spirits. I know I may not have created the perfect female character, but I did not want her to be perfect. I did want to have the social barrier thing with her and Stephen, I mean common on what is more appealing than a "wrong side of the tracks meets up-town) relationship.
Ok, I have to say that since I have finished writing the book I have deprogrammed myself. I watched 72 hours worth of Westerns and War movies. I no longer wonder what nail polish would work to complement my clothes and am satisfied my wallet contains all I need.
Till next Time,
See ya

No comments:

Post a Comment