Monday, August 8, 2011

Stephen King's The Colorado Kid plus more on my typos

Just recently, like yesterday, I finished reading Stephen King's the The Colorado Kid. I won't tell you the story like some people do when they write a review. What I will do is tell you that it is a mystery that is not a mystery, a story that is not a story. Confusing?
Actually it is not. I learned that sometimes writers will be faced with what could be a story that is cut and dry but with a little leaving out of facts or implying something without basis, you can turn the story into a mystery when in fact the simple answer is the answer even though it does not seem so.
I also found myself thinking just because someone does something out of the blue and uncharacteristic they are not necessarily up to no good, it could be simply the "Spur of the Moment I want to do something different for a change." What influences the story and shapes it depends on the audience of course but mostly the reaction the writer wants out of the reader.  We see it every day in the news no matter the medium, ultimately it is colored by the person writing the article and the agency's agenda.
I learned two that sometimes it is best to just leave something the way it is to keep it from being tainted by those looking for a story. Why create dirty laundry for someone and hang it out there when there is no need to?
Speaking of create, I have found, or someone found for me, another typo in my novel. Somehow whether it be MS Word spell check or me on a roll and not thinking, I used creates when crates was what I meant. (If typos were holes in my submarine I would be on the bottom sleeping with the fishes.) I apologize to everyone and hope to have the corrected version up soon.
Thanks,
C. E. Parmele

No comments:

Post a Comment