Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Stephen Hull our main protagonist

Well it is time to discuss the main man of The Last Run, Stephen Hull. First a little about his name. His Last name, Hull, is another thing I pulled from history, Specifically Captain Isaac Hull one of our heroes from the War of 1812. His first name, Stephen, is from Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey / Maturin series "Stephen Maturin" the Ship's surgeon. I chose the names because I have respect for the historical and fictional characters.
Personality: Stephen is stubborn especially when it comes to Beth. He does not like having restrictions place on him and that is why he ran away from his aunt. He loves adventure although he can be a little unsure of himself. He is constantly questioning himself about the death of his parents and friends thinking he could have saved them. He is a little shy. He would rather work doing something he enjoys than at a job that pays a lot of money. He is loyal. He looks up to the Skipper as a replacement for the father he lost.
I tried to make Stephen a toned down version of Tom Sawyer an adventurous spirit. I wanted him to have that self-doubt and show him fighting to overcome it. If you have read Tom Sawyer you will note he did not suffer from self-doubt.
In the sequel I plan on writing in the future you will see a mature Stephen using his knowledge he gained from his time with the Skipper to aid the Pacific War effort.
I hope you enjoy reading my book, The Last Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment