Monday, August 1, 2011

Why I wrote "The Last Run"

I guess if I want to share my writing experience then I should let you know why I wrote The Last run. The reason simply put, I wanted to write a book and torture the mind's of others through literature. No seriously, I have always liked to read and I have always had an active imagination and figured I could combine the two and what ya know, I became a writer. (A starving one).
I started to write different projects and became side tracked until the Idea for The Last run popped into my head. I was in bed drifting off to sleep when the idea hit me of writing about an old rum smuggler and World War two. I was tempted that night to start writing or at least write the idea down so I would remember it in the morning but I did not. Lucky for me I remembered the next morning and began to write. Over a period of a year I would write little bits at a time, read about different events from the 1900's and incorporate some of those events into the story to add background and form the character of the Skipper. It was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle, the picture is already there in your mind you have just got to get the right pieces in their proper place. After the year was up and the rough draft completed I put the project down for awhile, about 6 months, then I read it, noticed some pieces were not quite right so I rewrote those to make it fit into the Big Picture. It is that Big Picture I want to convey to the audience, I hope I have accomplished it.
My writing, like the characters in the book, except a few, is simple. There is no fluff, no extra wordy descriptions, no flowery prose that trails on forever just to say something simple like, Stephen Liked Beth, or like how the sea and Island look. I treat writing like a sculptor, I remove what is not needed to show the figure inside. Sometimes it is what you leave out that counts.
I plan on writing two other books related to The Last Run. One book will cover the Skipper's past, the other will cover Stephen's contribution to the war effort in the Pacific.
Right now I am working on setting up social networking pages and hopefully a new website.
Thanks for reading.
Oh if you can spread the word about this blog and my book, The Last Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment