Friday, August 5, 2011

Marketing, A salesman I am not.

One thing I will never claim to be nor have I ever claimed to be is a Salesman. I mean if I was hired to sell new cars I I was told to sell a brand new Rolls-Royce for the special price of one dollar and I had a week to do it, well let's just say the next Monday I would be out job searching. I am just not the type of person who would go into sales. I am not really a socializing type of guy. I am quite shy when it comes down to it. Yes people will say in social situations I may talk a lot but that is just nerves.
Now here is my problem, something I am not is hurting something I want to be. I want to write and have people read my creations but I find it hard to get people to my work. The new Rolls-Royce is stuck on the lot with the dollar price tag and I am hiding in my office, or the restroom (where would you be if your nerves were acting up?) Yes, people drive by the lot see the price tag but keep driving thinking something has to be wrong. Well there is nothing wrong except there is no one on the lot to explain the deal. I mean it is a perfectly good car with a lot of extras and styling (can you believe i am comparing my writing to a Rolls?) but there is no salesman to say "Hey check this deal out! No gimmick just a get to no me deal.".
If I could get people to read my books and not make a dime I would be happy but, well, I don't know. "It's free, can't be good" mind set come up to rear it's ugly head. (Damn Catch 22, A good book and movie by the way).
I will still write and still put it out there. I will try to market the book and myself (No, not that way. I'd go broke with my looks). In the end I may have a ton of books out there with only a few followers, but they will be my creations and if just one person enjoys just one of my books, then I can call myself a writer. (Never a salesman)

No comments:

Post a Comment